This Jacobean Manor House was built in 1623 for Lady Mary Reade and the date, together with her initials, MR, are recorded on the drawing room ceiling.
The House was sold in 1670 to the Clitherow family and remained in their possession until 1924 when it was purchased by
the Brentford Urban District Council.
The House was closed to the public for a very long time so that repair and restoration works could be undertaken following subsidence in one corner
of the building. The London Borough of Hounslow worked closely with English Heritage regarding the restoration of this Grade I listed building,
even to the detail of hand made bricks to duplicate the original, as far as possible. Unfortunately, the restoration now seems to have come to a halt and is not yet
completed. If you would like to comment on this fact, please contact the London Borough of Hounslow to register your concern. Parts of the House
(the Staterooms and dining room) are open to the public again from the beginning of April until the end of October each year.
Opening hours are 2.30 to 5 p.m. on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays. The state rooms and dining room were at one time available to hire, but
this may not be possible during restoration work. Please contact John Laing or
Hounslow Council for more detailed information.
The dining room where William IV and Queen Adelaide dined in 1834, an account of which is given in Historical Events,
had been restored to its original Naples Yellow just prior to restoration work commencing. The state rooms contain magnificently decorated plaster ceilings of 1623
and a superb Jacobean mantlepiece. In excess of 80 paintings from the London Borough of Hounslow local collection were on display in the house, including portraits of the
Clitherow family by George Romney and Sir Godfrey Kneller. We understand these paintings will be replaced on
completion of the works. The Jacobean mantelpiece includes a biblical scene showing the Angel stopping Abraham from sacrificing Isaac.
A guide giving the history and detail of the House is available on site. A tour of the House is very much recommended. Janet McNamara's Boston Manor Brentford - A History and Guide contains a detailed history of the Manor
House and surrounding area, including recent history when the House was used as a school and the effects of the bomb which
demolished numbers 107 and 109 Boston Manor Road on 29th August 1944. Some of our FoBM members attended the school - perhaps
we should arrange for a reunion some time, although we won't ask them to attend in the dress of the day! Janet's guide is also
available from Brentford Library. From June to October, Brentford, Chiswick and Isleworth Heritage Walks offer guided tours
around the area, one of which is along the canal to Boston Manor House. Please telephone 020 8230 8583 or 020 8560 3718 for
more information. Participating in the guided walk costs
£2, payable on the day.
This painting by Henry William Pickersgill of Colonel James Clitherow (1766-1841) was donated by the
St Bernard's Hospital Museum. Unfortunately, the painting suffered water damage but has now been restored by CIP with financial
assistance from Boston Manor Residents' Association and Friends of Boston Manor. The portrait will, hopefully, be returned to its rightful place in the House
in the near future, following the completion of restoration works. Hover your mouse pointer over the portrait to see the restored picture.
Thanks to Hounslow and Chiswick Local Studies Libraries for supplying some of the information and images on this page,
which may not be further reproduced for commercial purposes without permission.